Statcounter

Friday, November 6, 2009

Which One - What I Can Do Or How I Do It??

I have learned a few skills that are very different from what I studied. I used to feel very humble with these skills because I knew I didn’t learn them from the classroom. I always thought that I only deserve recognition for having the skills if I learn them properly from attending lecture and tutorials, and then did the practical training; spending years on them, and awarded the proper certificate. Else, I would be embarrassed to tell people that I do know these skills. I have been this way for a long time.

But it didn’t stop me from learning new skills that I found myself interested in. I realized then that I learnt new skills not because I wanted to show off to people. But I did it because I was doing myself a favour. So I gradually improved myself from time to time and at one point, I finally manage to get a result for people to see. Still, I felt very humble with my piece of work. “I can never beat those who took this course for years and spent thousands on it.” So I thought that way forever. But eventually, I couldn’t hide this anymore. My passion gets the better of me. I don’t care about it anymore. Again, I’m sorry if you guys call this selfish. I stop thinking about comparing myself with others. I just GO AHEAD and do what I want.

Before I know, my work started to get recognized. I became so fired up even more that I wanted to improve and improve more from there. I almost forgot about my humbleness about these self-learnt skills. I actually went to apply for a job using my un-certificated skill. When the boss talked to me, he was skeptical too. He thought that it wasn’t fair for someone like me to just walk in and claim that I could meet the standard when there are thousands candidates out there who spent thousands of RM and used up at least 3 years to master this skill. He also thought that I somekind of trying to RUIN the system by trying to make him hire “A WANNABE” like me. Ouch. That Hurt!

True. It was one of the crazy things I did in my life so far. Walking in an interview for a post that I didn’t own a proper certificate for. What I brought to him was my works. He was quite impressed but it wasn’t enough. I was jumping the queue. Because of the experience that I said I had, he had to pay me at least the amount a fresh graduate with proper certificate would feel shy to ask. What I could see from this boss was that – he was FOND of the system. He is one of those who believe that only those who are following the right system deserve to get a place. Yes, he was more concerned about HOW I PRODUCE my work, rather than WHAT work I could produce. Because HOW I do it – is one thing that can tell if I learn this skill properly or not. I was glad that I talked to that boss. Because he taught me something very valuable. While he can spend his time worrying about the freaking system, I could just shoot and do it my way. I GO FOR RESULTS. And I imagine that he and I are on a marathon track. I want to see who wins. *Lols.

I told myself. I am not worried about this. Because I BELIEVE that if I can produce a good work, no one cares HOW I produce it. They only want the end product. That’s all they care for. Especially when your market is the everyday people who know what they need and want, and for them - seeing is believing. They sure don’t freaking care how I could produce what they want and need. Just show them the freaking work that they can see with their eyes. That’s all. You think they care how many hours I spent on the work? You think they care if I didn’t sleep for 2 days to finish that work? Do you think they care if I had to steal or break in into someone else’s belonging just so I could get the job done? Hell No.

So I’m a believer in RESULT and not METHOD. Professional or not, let’s discuss it after we see the result. Don’t judge me just because I don’t have the certificate. Don’t think I’m gonna lose out just because I spent my years learning about something else but this. I still think that certificate gonna lose to experience. Or better yet, let’s stop arguing. Just get the job done and compare.

If you beat me, that’s expected.

What if I beat you?

Hehehehehe. NOW that’s what I call The Moment Of Truth.

NOTE: /me capat2 tapuk sebelum kana bagi pandangan serong oleh sepa2. *Lols

No comments: