Statcounter

Friday, September 10, 2010

When A Choice You Should Make Is A Choice You Don’t Make

Let’s make this to the point. Recall situations where you are stuck between 2 choices. In order to proceed, you should pick one because of the constraint involved. Don’t tell me you’re not familiar with situations where you need to make a choice because both choices happen on the same time so unless you can divide yourself you have a surrogate robot to represent you, then maybe you can have both choices. Hahaha. Okay, imagine the normal situations where you have to make choices. Sometimes it’s tough to decide cos picking one choice means letting go of the other choice that might mean something to you too. So how?

Here’s my little situation recently. A few days prior to that, my best buddies asked me when I could hang out with them – doing our routine of spending hours chatting and updating each other about our lives. Since that my best buddies are only free during certain time, I should adjust my time for them since I’m more flexible with my schedule. So I agreed right away to set my time free for them, considering that I won’t have last minute urgent work. I made sure all works were done before the day. Suddenly something came up. My cousin called me that she needed an urgent work to be done. She gave me the work on the nite before the day, but she said it was due in 2 days so I could have my free time on that planned day. Unfortunately, she called again that morning and told me she wanted to pick up the stuff on the same day! Considering that I could only do my work at the office, and then that day I already made my plan with my buddies to go out together which means once I left the office to town, I won’t be going back to work, or else I would be rushing and wasted so much time and energy on the journey. Then my mind worked so hard to find a solution. I almost considering to cancel the plan and just let my buddies go without me cos the work was more important. But I felt painful to miss the date with my buddies especially when our hangout only happens once in a few months. So I just sat there for a while and thought of something. Suddenly something hit my mind. Hey, WHY am I making a choice? Making a choice is time consuming. It’s pressuring and I hate to lose one of the choice. Suddenly I realized that NOBODY forces me to make a choice actually. Then WHY should I try and make a choice?

Without further ado, I took a middle way. I WON’T MISS BOTH. I told myself that I could finish the job in time cos when I checked the time, I had about less than 2 hours. Considering that the last minute work is within my proficiency, it was the time to show that “I could get the job done” given whatever circumstances. I was trying to proof something to myself, at the same time giving myself the benefit of having both things without making a choice. I called my bestfriend telling her that I was gonna be about an hour late. Yes, that was the adjustment that I made. Nothing comes free, you see. It has to cost you something. But the one hour delay that I asked for, was not critical. I know that my buddies would be late too. They usually would arrive about ½ to 1 hour late especially when they got stuck in traffic jam. So there was a possibility that I still won’t miss anything. I just concentrate doing my job and finish them fast and efficient. I noticed that the work that had been bothering my plan was not that hard to do. If I just spent 1 hour of undisturbed time for the work, I could performed wonders in getting many things done. Just as I set it, my work was done with additional 10 minutes and with the help of the surroundings that didn’t make things harder for me, I arrived at the mall when my buddies have not yet had their meal. I mean, I was so delighted I did not miss anything. It was so funny when we force ourselves to make a choice when we don’t even have to make a choice. Try and think of a middle way. If you can work something out without having to lose anything, Trust me that’s an accomplishment. If you can do it, proud of yourself. *giggles

No comments: