Statcounter

Friday, September 10, 2010

“Just Be That Dinosaur, I Told Her”

Sometimes when you are having a personal crises within yourself, you could be giving yourself peculiar options that only other people can see how stupid they are. During the hangout with my friends recently, my bestfriend asked our opinion on this. She started with…

“Consider the options that I have now, ok. I have been thinking of quitting my job and start a business. Do you think it’s worth it? Cos if I don’t quit my job, it’s whether I become this Dinosaur in the department, who is considered experienced and senior compared to the new staff but still remain doing the same post for years, or I try to become a professional engineer IR which gonna take some time but achievable, but I saw my superiors, and their workload isn’t easy. Considering that now I am already too busy that my man even complains that I only have time for work, I can’t imagine if I get busier than this. Then the best thing is maybe to quit my job and do business on my own so I don’t have to deal with this.”

By the time I listened to her words, I didn’t take that much effort to come up with an answer. I told her, “Just Be That Dinosaur.”

My other friends laughed at my answer. They thought I was joking. But guess what, I was giving the my real view on her situation. Since that it wasn’t the first time when she posed me a question like that, I knew the nature of that little thought inside her of quitting her job. She thought it was too hectic. She wanted more personal time for herself and her family. Her job doesn’t make it possible. And she thought that she has to get stuck there for the rest of her life because applying to get a promotion is not going spell things well for her judging from her current situation when her man always made it an issue of argument when she keep saying I’m Busy. Her man couldn’t understand the demand of her job. Yes I understand that. It doesn’t take a genius. Although the job is making her busy, but it’s the job that is giving her the life that she has now. She has everything under good care because her financial situation allows it so. She doesn’t have to worry about money. She can spend all she wants. She can go where she wants if her time allows. Another thing is she is worried about becoming “The dinosaur” because of other’s perception of her that she is considered senior staff but never get promoted. I said to her, “So you are worried about what others gonna say when you still at your chair after years working?” She paused and said nothing. Maybe she was thinking of what to say. “This thing about other people, let me tell you. They gonna talk what they want and when you get too worried of their impression about you, look at them, do they have a life half as good as yours? If you quit your job just because you don’t want to be A Dinosaur, these people are not there for you when you don’t have enough money for your monthly spending. These people won’t be there for you if you fail in your business attempt. I’m not trying to be negative here but I tell you what’s the reality of business today. To start a business is so easy but to make it successful, tell me why do you have to go through all this when your professionalism is already at your grab? We are talking about all this because you are considering of letting go something that is SURE you can pull off satisfactorily. The last person I know who quit job to look for a greener pasture that he has lack skills on, now living in hardship because of the decision to let go the job he was so good in. It’s whether he was greedy or bored, you must weigh the good and bad consequences from your options. Every work has its own pain and struggle. Once you venture into business, you are starting from zero. If you are not used to this mental challenge, maybe you would get discouraged in a short time. By that time you have lost many things that you won’t even have to consider losing if you just tolerate with the thought of staying as A Dinosaur.

They laughed at me because I sounded like I was being cynical. Then my bestfriend hugged my arm and said, “Okayyyyy You are right! I won’t quit my job!!!!!” Okay, then she agrees to be the Dinosaur, guys… *Lols.

Don’t get beaten up by the mental challenges. These challenges are the biggest cos you don’t know how your own mental can be your biggest enemy that attempt to change your life into a bad way. Positive thinking is good, Yes, I know. But positive thinking must come with other “equipments” then only it can give you positive results. It’s a world full of temptations and challenges. One wrong step is all you need to turn things upside down. Be rational. Dinosaur or not, it’s too small to make it a big deal. Or if you insist, just be a Dinosaur that is wearing a diamond crown. I’m sure everyone won’t laugh at you. They now WANT to be a dinosaur like you too. Hahahahaha :)

No comments: