Statcounter

Thursday, May 21, 2009

When It's About - Who You Know...

People always say that in order to move forward much faster and easier, it’s about WHO KNOW YOU. Or in other words, it’s having someone inside the organization to help you to secure something that benefits you. In business or even in any other matters in our lives, it’s applicable. I don’t actually BUY IT. I still believe that luck will give way to you when you’re qualified enough. I always believe in something like that.

But actually, “It’s about who you know” has been proven. First, I must inform that I have this principle to not mix business with personal, because I won’t use my friends as a stepping stone to get something. I used to think that it’s immoral and it’s unethical. But I seriously think that if you’re doing something because you’re sincere about it, it doesn’t mean that you should refuse anything good that comes from your own act of goodness. Okay! Maybe not exactly “act of goodness”. It’s just doing things the way you would do it naturally. I remember that I know this guy back then. I had a good friendship with him. It’s just for the sake of making friends, nothing else. I never actually asked him in details about his work and others. As far as I could recall, this guy appreciates my friendship. Maybe because I was doing my part to get in touch with him too, he felt so grateful.

He didn’t know that I have a sister because it was always about us sharing things about my studies and others. So a few years later, when our friendship was slowing down, who would have guessed that my sister actually came to the place where this guy works. So when my sister submitted a form that has her details, and this guy took a glimpse of it and he saw my sister’s last name rhymes the same as mine, and the place of birth that he saw was the same as mine, he ran after my sister who just left the office. “Wait, wait. Is Twofivesix[256] your sister?” “Yes, she’s my sister.” And because of that, my sister got what she wanted. Just like that. Other people would have gone through difficulties and still won’t get it. But because of an old treasured friendship, it goes a long way. I was ashamed because a friend was using his position to help my sister. I did not ask for it. I would never ask for something like that. I remember feeling so ashamed when he called me up and said, “Can you believe that I actually bump into your sister by chance?” And he even told me some “internal affairs” that has something to do with my sister’s intention going there. I didn’t discuss the matters further about him because I wanted him to know that helping my sister was totally at his own will and it has nothing to do with my friendship with him. But this is one example of, “It’s about who you know.”

So back to the present time. Just now, I got another phonecall from another friend. My blog readers should know this guy by now. He’s the one in the Long Lost Friend and The Reluctant Friend posts. Though I decided that being friends with him like the old time was not an a favourable option for me, but I still have professional relationship with him. So as long as we keep it professional, I won’t mind. But the days when he could dig into my personal life are now over. I am currently having somekind of difficulty that concerns his duty. So because he’s now among the top guys (which was not in the picture when I first met him years back), he can make some important decisions. Again, my approach is still the same. Eventhough he’s in the position that I could ask help from, I never bring it up. If I’m facing problem, I’m going to handle it and I don’t expect to get immunity just because I know “somebody” from the organisation. But it’s different with him. He’s using his access as my personal friend to bring up matters concerning work and use his professional position to bring up matters concerning personal life. So it’s already a different game. But he gets my tune so he doesn’t force it on me. But just now, he’s giving me a solution for my situation that is not applicable for anybody else. He asks me to do something formal to make it legal so that I won’t have much to lose from this temporary difficulty I’m having now. Then I went, “Oh, that’s a smart thing to do. Are you sure I can do something like that?” He said, “Yes, you make the letter and address it TO ME and I’ll do the rest for you.” The solution is legal but yet unfair. Just because we know each other, then I get the advantage. But I really excuse myself this time from feeling like I’m using a friend for my own benefit because judging from this situation, I think that it’s not against the law. So I will definitely give it a go. After the phone conversation, I finally realize all over again that, Yes, It’s About Who You Know.

But one thing for sure, I think that if you’re really able and qualified to get something, you will get it. I have proven it also, my friends. My application approved all by my own efforts. Not even a mentor. I think that LUCK plays a role in this too. But to make it easier, let’s no rely on something like that too often. You do the effort first and if someone is in the position to help you out, maybe it’s easier for the person to do so if you have the qualification. That’s the trick. In fact, it’s very rewarding if you can achieve something without someone else’s help. Prove to them that you’re much better than just sitting there and hope for someone to make things happen for you.

We make things happen with our own hands, how about that? Dare to take the challenge? :)

NOTE: I’m very sorry my dear friends. I’m getting so much busier as of late and will be that way for the next month too. I do hope to spare some time to go online. Please bear with me ya. (and in case you ask, Yes, I miss you guys too. *Lols) Muahsss all.

1 comment:

AngeL BeaR said...

well in the real world sometimes...kena juga kenal who's who...or else suda mo bergerak..uhuhuhhuh payah ba ni dunia sekarang... =.=