Statcounter

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Phone Call Of Gratitude


I remember attending a wedding of a relative last Saturday. A wedding that my parents labelled as “MUST GO” and weeks before that, I had a small argument with my mom just because of that wedding. That was how much my parents disallowed us to make excuses to not attend. Even when I told my mom that I would not mind going if I was not busy with work, she would still nagging to  make sure that I must come. Actually, the groom was my third cousin whom I barely met and talked to. His mom, was my dad’s cousin. And the mom never missed attending any of our events. That alone, was a big reason to attend this wedding. 


When that day finally came, I got a little busy. I was a bit troubled by the thought that I need to make a few hours free just to attend the wedding. I was so troubled. That time, I juggled a few important things. Work was on top of the list. Also, my motivation to go was my sister. She spoiled the mood a bit when she said she won’t be going because she had stuff to do.  I almost just did what the old me used to do, “Don’t bother to trouble yourself”. One difficulty is enough for me to just cancel any plan of attending anything. Anyway, after thinking so much, in the midst of juggling my mind, I remembered something. I said a little prayer so that I could get the best decision ever. Out of nowhere, my vision was just cleared. Wow. Prayers do work wonders.


Suddenly, I thought I was free. All my customers came early so I had no more appointment to cancel. If I didn’t attend the wedding, I would be too free for a few hours. And thinking about how important our attendence was to my parents, then I was just – OKAY LETS GO!! 


Then I paused, O ya, what should I bring as a gift?


It was really a last minute gift I picked from the rack. It was nicely decorated and personalized. I didn’t think much about it. I know it’s nice, and if I’m lucky, they gonna like it, I thought. So I attended the wedding. I remember shaking the couple’s hands at the entrance. I asked the groom, “Do you know me?” He was a bit confused at first, until I mentioned my dad’s name. “Oh, you’re my cousin!” It was only that time that I actually knew he was my third cousin. Hahaha. 


So 4 days after the wedding, I received a call from my dad this morning. He said that the particular just married cousin asked for my phone number. I said, Oh okay. So I thought he only wanted to keep the number for future reference. Less than half an hour after that, my phone rang. A guy on the phone. It was him! I was shocked cos he started with a very big thank you for “such a lovely gift”. I went, “Errr…What?” I never thought that a groom would ever call a guest days after the wedding just to thank for a gift. Hahaha. He also mentioned that he apologized that he didn’t get to meet and thank me personally during the wedding cos he was tied with the program. I laughed and said, Of course! Don’t worry! You were the groom!! And that’s your wedding! Hahahahaha. So after that, he kept saying thank you, and I kept saying, You’re Welcome. Hehehehe. It’s nice, right :)


I came home, and I asked my bro if the cousin called him too. He said no. Looked like he really called to personally thank about the gift. Maybe they really love the gift, right. Well, I feel so warm and grateful inside. The little things that really make the day counts. Suddenly I feel a jolt of – good feeling inside. I feel that what I’ve b been doing all this time – Is totally Worth It. Thanks to Him for this blessing.


Sometimes what you have to do is just Do what you like, Be Yourself, cos it’s the only way to do things with pure sincerity and not really going after appreciation or reward from others.  And go ahead with your life. Good things will bounce back. They sure will. :)

No comments: