Statcounter

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Addiction For Hallmark Cards. Why?

Familiar with the Hallmark brand for greeting cards? I was one of the fans of this brand. I started getting Hallmark cards when I was 17. I had my adopted brother who gave me A LOT of these cards! And from there, I started to build some kind of taste and preferences for greeting cards. I was one of the silly followers who fell for that stupid idea that the thoughts are bigger when it is a Hallmark card. “When You Care Enough To Send The Very Best” tagline really works on a lot of people that time. Or are there still a lot of them? Anyway, Hallmark inspires me from there. It’s all about impressions, people…Impressions.

My whole life, I received a lot of Hallmark cards. Even the special people in my life fell for the tagline of Hallmark cards. Now you know it’s a successful brand when people start to believe and fall for the tagline. Speaking of successful brand, it comes with a price my, dear friends. Maybe I was just lucky that some of the special friends I once had could actually afford to buy Hallmark cards for me. Well, I was so grateful and happy when I turned at the back at the card and found out it was a Hallmark card. I knew the person spent a bit more just to get the card for me. To receive it, YES! But to give it? Damn, it was painful. *Lols. I am never rich enough my whole life so far to find buying a Hallmark card doesn’t take much from my budget. Gotta be kidding me. It was damn painful to fork out that much for a damn greeting card!! *Lols. Anyway, I have been there when I had to save money just so I could buy a special card for my special ones.

Okay, let me share this funny experience. I have this ex boyfriend who was so much into Hallmark cards. It was a damn pressure for me to save up just to buy him one. *Lols. Yes, he bought me Hallmark cards all the time but he spent A LOT less. That was so so unfair! The fact that Hallmark cards are much cheaper in certain countries and currencies, it was so painful to be a Malaysian, when it comes to buying a Hallmark card!!! Hahahahahahaha. Hey, it’s true. Oh man, I hate that stress. Hallmark cards always made me ended me up broke and penniless!! Hahahahahahahahahaha. A few times, I had to settle for a beautiful but much cheaper, unbranded cards and I had to shut my eyes and ears from getting that funny unhappy expressions from the recipients of the card. But I had to! My budget was tight! I could not let a damn Hallmark card steal my lunches and dinners at school! (Hahahahahahaahhahahahahahaha. Oh man, that was damn funny).

Here are some of the things I remember about Hallmark cards in my life so far. *giggles.

  1. During one Valentine’s many years ago, my bestfriend asked me to print out a card for him to test my computer designing skill, but I changed my mind because my skills was so limited back then since I only started to learn how to use computers. So I offered to make him a hand-made card. The card was packed with decorations from beads to sequins. He was so so shocked to get the card and he told me this – The card was so so beautiful!! You got yourself in a wrong course! You should not be doing science! *Lols. So…as a reward, he gave me this nice nice Hallmark card for Valentine’s. But.he forgot to erase the price at the back right below the barcode!! It costs RM 17.50! It was the most expensive Hallmark card I ever received that time (as far as a forgetful-mind-to-erase-the-price is concerned. *Lols).

  2. During one Valentine’s, I really couldn’t afford to buy a card for my boyfriend that time. He almost sulked because he spent a lot of money to buy gifts for me. So I told him, sorry I forgot. So I ran to Just For You and grabbed a general love card. I saved a little because if I bought a specific card for Valentine’s, it cost much much more! *Lols.

  3. The most expensive Hallmark card that I ever bought cost me RM22.50 and I bought it for my boyfriend. That time, I had more budget for the card because if I am not mistaken, I set the rules that we only needed to exchange the best card and nothing else. Even though I didn’t get myself an extra gift that time, at least I got to save up on the overall spending on gifts! *Lols

  4. The most expensive Hallmark card I received so far…how should I know?! Unless they all forgot to erase the price, then I should have known! *Lols. But judging from the beauty and quality of the cards, the most expensive Hallmark cards must have come from my ever-loving ex boyfriend ßHe’s a great card-picker.

Omigawd…I was laughing good time as I was writing those. I think that, Hallmark should not be a brand for a person like me because I was always tight on money. *Lols.

The moral of the story: It’s all about the thoughts and nothing else. My addiction for Hallmark card is optional. I remember getting a handmade card from a guyfriend for my birthday and it was so so lovely. I always remember the card to be one of my favourite cards of all time. Hallmark or not, I proved you that the thoughts and sincerity are still on top. Want some better tips? Send yourself instead! I’m sure your presence will mean everything to your special one, not even the most expensive Hallmark card can beat it!

No comments: