Statcounter

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Unfamiliar Daughter

A few days ago, I went to a nite family event held in my aunt’s house. We came a bit late. Many of the relatives were there, including my cousins, aunties, uncles and their relatives. But it was not really a big crowd because it was held on weekdays and not on holidays. Even my brothers were not there.

During the event, I was approached by a few faces that I recognize but I didn't know their names. They must be my relatives too. They stopped at me and said, “I don’t recognize your face. Very unfamiliar.” So I had to introduced myself by telling them I am my dad’s other daughter. I’m sure that my dad’s nickname is very familiar among my relatives, close or far. And the surprising answer was, “We know.” I mean, Ouch? They know I am my dad’s daughter and still said that I am unfamiliar? Erkss!!! Because of this, I got interviewed by a few of them who were really curious to know about me.

When my Moing passed away less than 2 months ago, finally the families and relatives have a vital reason to be reunited. Not even the festive seasons can usually make that happen. So during my Moing’s funeral, we saw faces that are once familiar but have not seen for a long time. Maybe to them, I am one of those faces. They know my existence. But I disappeared from family gatherings for many years. Some of them remember me as the daddy’s little girl and then that girl went missing. They only saw my sister and heard to, "The other one doesn't come."

So that was what happened when I finally came back and joined the crowd. Actually, I wasn’t that unfamiliar anymore. I have been attending many family crowds since last year. Just that, maybe I don’t stop and say Hi and do some ice-breaking for them to know that I was that missing daughter. The thing is, I wasn’t even missing. I’ve been minding my own business for a long time.

The feeling is kinda funny. I thought that I am not only the anonymous blogger and chatter, but I am quite anonymous to my own relatives. Hehehehehe. This is nothing to be smiling about. It’s not something that I do purposely. Maybe I am just like this. I am not so greedy when it comes to networking. I would not mind to have just a few close people and then they receive good treatment from me. Maybe I am not capable of sharing my life and my attention with so many people. I don’t know. Who knows I might want to do it differently from here. Maybe I don’t have to be anonymous anymore. Maybe I should just go and mix with people and look at this life from a different point of view. Who knows I’m gonna like it better. Who knows :) Until that, maybe I just have to accept being The Unfamiliar Daughter of my father to my relatives. I don't mind at all.

Note: In one way, I really love being the unfamiliar [256]. *winks *giggles

No comments: