Statcounter

Monday, January 11, 2010

The Burden Of HiGH TasTE

Is [256] a High-Taste person? Interesting question. I have one guy friend who thought I was some High-class lady, who wears expensive things. Yup, he told me that. I forgot to deny it because he’s wrong. I wear what looks nice on me. They can be cheap, but when something looks nice on you, sometimes it can look expensive. I told you guys a story before that I wore this average pair of un-branded jeans and this friend of mine, who belongs to that “Victims of brands” category, thought I was wearing a pair of expensive Levis jeans? The secret is the good cutting, and nice blue colour and how you pair it with a shirt that make the jeans even more appealing. I want to ask these 2 questions.

1. Isn’t it being High in Taste is for people to see that you look Better than those who have taste not as high as you? What if you spend so much and still don’t look as good as other people who spend very little?

2. Or Is it just for Personal satisfaction that you are happy if you’re wearing a very expensive socks even if nobody knows it? I mean, people might think you are wearing the same Cheap socks like them, Nobody appreciates that you spend so much money on your socks, but as long as you know that you’re spending so much on the socks, you feel happy, and that’s about it? Is that true?

I mean, Is High Taste is dedicated for your own satisfaction or Is it just for the intention of Showing Off?

I had a long chat with a lady yesterday. She’s one sophisticated lady. How she dressed, her hairstyle and even her handbag, Enough for me to see that She’s very high in taste. But she can’t run away from economic slowdown from last year so it affects her spending. She used to drive a BMW car and she told me she has to give away the car because she couldn’t stand the maintenance that cost her up to RM20k. Okay fine. Because she didn’t foresee that she has to give away the BMW, she has given her Honda Jazz to her brother so she’s left with nothing. She has to borrow Malaysia-made cars belong to her other family members and she said, Damn…driving Malaysia-made cars are really bothersome. She complained that she’s considered in dangerous financial level because the income that she makes is only enough to cover the normal monthly spending. “I couldn’t stand keeping that Beamer anymore. I don’t mind about the monthly installment that cost me more than RM2k, but it’s the maintenance that is really sucking my blood.” Fine, that’s wise to think that way. Now she’s thinking of buying a new car. What car? She said to me, “Anything but Malaysia cars.” Ouch!

People know that she used to drive a Beamer before, what…”Can they accept seeing me driving a Viva now?” It’s more than just Malaysia cars suck. It’s more than that. It’s about Status. Even when people noticed that the Beamer is nowhere to be seen, her neighbours been asking, “Eh, where’s your BM?” She answered, “I want to look for a better car, so I sell the car.” That’s what she said. She told me she had to say something like that because she doesn’t want these people “clapping hands” to see her downfall. Ouch? Yes, that’s how far she took that matter. She might be almost broke and all, but this is about Saving Face. As she was talking, I nodded because I understand her situation. Speaking of a new car, I suggest her a few imported cars like Toyota Vios, Altis that are becoming quite common here – she said, those are quite cheap. I’m thinking of another Honda. If I used to pay RM2k for the installment before, RM1k shouldn’t sound too much for me. But I said, “But you also have to consider the maintenance and parts.” She said, “Yes, but it can never get more than BMW. If Malaysia cars, the service cost is RM50, and for imported cars like Honda, it’RM300, still far cheaper than RM20 k right?” (Hahahahaahahahahahaha…Suddenly something is tickling me.)

Wowww…isn’t that TIRING? You have to go extra mile trying to decide what’s best to buy because it’s more than just What’s economical, and What’s cute, and What’s comfortable – suddenly all the other issues come out to the surface. It’s not even what is Cheap and reasonable. It’s about – what’s maximum she can get with what she is making monthly. I mean, to me, that’s Very Tiresome!!

This lady is totally my opposite. I’m nothing like her. I don’t worry about what people think whether or not my purse is thick. In most cases, I actually prefer people think that I am as ordinary as possible. I mean, I DON’T CARE!! I only care about my own heart. If I’m happy, you can’t exchange it with even if you have a Lamborghini. So what? I think that if you wear flashy expensive things, you will only draw so much attention, and some people enjoy that kind of attention. As for me, I DON’T. I repeat, I DON’T. I just want to have a happy and peaceful life, being able to do what I like and maybe make my loved ones happy with what I can offer– and just enjoy life in its most original form. This post makes me thinking that sometimes we have to look at other people to be even grateful with ourselves.

Anyway, I don’t think to be high in taste is their fault, however, I am just grateful that I am not one of them :)

No comments: