Statcounter

Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Best Telco In Malaysia: Blue, Red or Yellow?

A few days ago, I was approached by Acorn’s representative to make surveys on telco services in Malaysia. Thanks for the nice free gift! I don’t mind completing another one with a nice bag like that! *Lols.

I think this is my right as a consumer to decide which telco (telecommunication company) provides the most satisfactory service – I make it very simple so in case you guys are deciding which one to pick, you can actually consider my points to make your choice!

I’m a Celcom user forever. Back then, Celcom gained quite a reputation. It was almost the unbeatable network around with 019. I remember that there was TM Touch with 013. TM Touch was not exactly the popular choice that time. But after that, these both companies merged and put 013 and 019 in the same family using the brand Celcom, which is namely service for telco under TM service family. But it was not long after that, the merge doesn’t seem to benefit Celcom much. It is in fact the downfall of the brand- because it’s more like the merge is not for Celcom to bring TM Touch to its height, but rather TM Touch bringing Celcom to its height. With the rise of Maxis and then Digi – they stop at nothing to beat one another to be on top.

Maxis (Red), was one time, finally the market leader in this telco service. It’s so brilliant that they are spending so much on promotion – using the famous faces to promote their service. I could see that they must be spending millions to develop the brand. You could see it from the road tour, the tv commercials, the free gifts, the sponsorship – Whoa!! For someone who cared very little about this hype, I could see how much they struggle just from their marketing strategy alone! I totally salute this brand for such a promotion.

The most humble one – the Digi (Yellow) – came a big latter in the picture. I saw Digi as “the humble one” because I saw Maxis was doing so much and Celcom was still living from its past glory – leaving Digi with “nothing much” and I saw it struggle to even be recognise as one of the noticeable Telcos. I remember that Digi kept on producing new plan that benefit the users – Almost a desperate move to even be visible, so I thought. But they never were silent. They always do something to keep themselves in the market.

It took me a while to finally try to compare them. I was stuck with Celcom forever. No matter if they are providing good or poor network, I just call myself the Celcom follower by tradition. All my family is using Celcom. My ex was using Celcom. In fact, I thought it was the reason that I bought Celcom in the first place and I was the trend setter in the family. Another Celcom family who drawn in relying on Celcom’s past reputation – because I only started to use it after the merge with TM Touch.

But with all the promotion and marketing hype done by the 3 largest telcos in Malaysia, I often remember Maxis to be the Red Giant who is famous with the popular faces, Digi the humble Yellow who is working so hard and recognized by being The Most Creative through their very very cute tv commercials that made me laugh. Remember the Yellow thingy that follows people around? It made people laugh, right? Hahahahahahahaha. Digi is just the most creative one! No questions! What about Celcom?? Ouch!!!! I saw Celcom as “The Non Mover” who is still living by its past glory and relying on its advantage to the kampung area where was still unexplored by the Red and Yellow. So, Celcom was seen to be quite happy with what it has and almost Done Nothing to join the marketing hype. I told you as if they created a success to be enjoyed for the next 10 years and be happy with it.

For years, I was still sure I was using the best telco with Celcom. Although I wasn’t satisfied with it, I thought that I didn’t have a choice especially when it was the only network with bars when I was staying at my kampung. But maybe I lost track of when the other two are finally on par with this tradition brand of mine. Suddenly, my relatives at the kampung said that they could get very good signal with Maxis, and then after Digi put their satellite nearby my area, suddenly everyone at the kampung was changing to Digi. You see, I just watch people chasing after the best network. But what did I do? Nothing. I sort of followed Celcom’s approach – be a Non-Mover and just enjoy the show. *Lols.

So today – I cut the story short. I am using 3 networks (with only 2 being active at once). I can now decide which is the best. I was only using Digi and Maxis for months, and already they beat Celcom. In terms of services, free gifts and most importantly, CALL CHARGES – they definitely beat Celcom. When I read the views of the users, most of them said that they only reason they are sticking with Celcom is because – they don’t want to lose their numbers. It’s almost the same reason why I’m still a Celcom user. When it becomes your tradition since day one, it’s tough to change when your family is using all the same network.

So the Winner goes to… (drum roll please…) The Yellow!!!!!!!! Nothing beats CHEAP call charges, agree? DIGI is definitely the cheapest around. I mean, I don’t know if Maxis is similar because I don’t use my Maxis often. Why? Because DIGI gives me a very good rate and value for my money, then I just don’t have to look elsewhere. DIGI keeps on impressing me everytime I make calls. You guys know that I don’t usually make calls. But eversince I’m using DIGI, I become a generous caller. *Lols. Other than the fact I mostly use my Celcom, leaving my DIGI a good credit balance enough for me to offer, “Just misscall me if you want to talk, I’ll call you.” Hahahahahaahahahahahahahahha. Never in [256]’s history to make offers like that. I can’t help it! It’s just so cheap. I could talk for almost 20 minutes just spending about RM5 something. If you think I am exaggerating, just put it this way. You have to understand that I’m under Celcom spell for many years, now you imagine how expensive Celcom has always been to finally make me say that Digi is sooooo cheappp!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. I don’t know about its performance in the kampung area, but I guess they are all on par now. I can always use the other network if one of them is giving attitudes occasionally.

So are you deciding? The Yellow is an easy choice. But you have to stand that Yellow thingy with a funny face following you around. Hahahahahahaha. Good job you Yellow! But this is not permanent. Just watch them fight and we enjoy the best rate, ok people! *Lols.

4 comments:

Gallivanter said...

Digi appeals to youngsters aged 21 and below, but Maxis appeals to professionals for some reason. Digi can be unreliable at times although they may have competitive pricing. I don't even bother with Celcom.

I'm a Maxis user for over 10 years and a very happy one. :-)

Twofivesix256 said...

Gallivanter...Maybe you're right. I'm not doing a fair evaluation since I have only put my celcom and digi on most of the time. Other than that, I still think Maxis still comes before Celcom. I can surely say that even only months using it, though not that often. 10 years of a happy experience, what more can I say? That says it all. *giggles.

Oh...I bought Maxis Youth plan with 4 years validity. It is such an awesome service. I can reload RM10 and can let it sleep for 4 years. *Lols.

AngeL BeaR said...

I'm a faithful Digi user...number still maintain...sampai sanggup convert from prepaid now switch to postpaid...hahahahaa....

Twofivesix256 said...

Hahaha dingo...I'm not surprised at all :))