Statcounter

Sunday, April 26, 2009

He Who Has The Speed, Wins?

This topic is nothing new to me. I always asked myself that question when I realized that I was being left behind by other people, especially those my age, and those who are younger. I saw how they discovered life and experienced great stuff much earlier; and some of them even reach their comfort zone much younger. How lucky!

If you are the type who cares about stuff like that, trust me I understand what you feel. If life were a marathon track, it was like you saw these people ran at a high speed and left you far behind when you were still running at the same pace, or worse, you felt like you weren't running at all! Do you feel bad, my friends? I honestly feel bad whenever I have that thought. But not until I made up my mind. But before that, I must ask you again, so is it all about speed? He who runs faster win the race? Is that so?

My dear friends. Can I just answer it now? IT'S NOT ABOUT SPEED, that's my answer. I will tell you why.

Life gives you the edge of "having the speed", at least one time in your life. If you remember how many times you actually "did it first" and you friends could only envy you? For example. you are the first one to land a job, while your friends are still waiting for interviews. You get to earn money much earlier than them and whenever you guys meet up, you can show up your car and talk about your plan to buy a house. Your jobless friends can only listen and "pity" themselves deep inside. That time, you sure get the upper hand. So, the speed is on your side. Does it mean you win the race of life?

Of course NO. As a continuation to that example- Later, all of them finally get a job. Since they are new, they often refer to you because of your experience. How to do this, how do you do it, where to go and what to do…all that questions. You feel superior and proud because you feel that "speed" is giving you the edge. So, as times go by, you guys finally meet up again and it's now a different story. You see that your friends have changed a great deal. The way they dress, the way they talk and some even get a promotion only after months working. Suddenly, everyone talks "the same language" and "sit and stand at the same level". Suddenly, nobody refers to you or ask you anything anymore, and what is worse, you don't feel superior anymore because nobody make a big deal out of "who get hired first". You feel like it's you who are being left behind judging from the very instant accomplishments achieved by your friends in such a "speed". Oops, what happen to "the speed" you once have?

Life is like that. It's a roller coaster. Sometimes you're up, and sometimes down. So if the example above happens to you, should you be surprised or sad? YOU SHOULDN'T. This is life and get ready for this. Don't waste your energy on "feeling bad" when it's your turn to be at the bottom. This is not the time to ask, "WHY IT HAPPENS TO ME? WHY I FEEL LIKE OTHERS ARE LEAVING ME BEHIND WHEN I WAS THE ONE WHO LEAD THE RACE BEFORE? No more question on this. THIS IS FACT and let's not "bark at the mountain". Let me reveal you guys A VERY PRICELESS FACT I have discovered from this life.

LIFE IS NOT EVEN A RACE…

So that will ELIMINATE the role of SPEED in this journey of life. It's okay to imagine that this road of life is like a marathon track, but correct the part when you think that PEOPLE ARE RUNNING AT THE SAME TRACK AS YOURS. Each of us have our own, individual, unique track. THE TRACK IS YOURS ALONE! You decide when to run, when to walk, when to sit or when to just rest there looking at others. Yes, imagine this. Though you don't share the same track as other people, you could see them on their track. So, you still can't help but compare who actually runs faster. But that would be silly because even if she runs faster than you, it's her own track and it has nothing to do with you and your track. Get that? AGAIN, FORGET ABOUT THE WORD "SPEED"!

When someone rich tells you how you should cope with being poor when he doesn't even know what "poor" means, let alone feel how "painful" being poor is, then maybe you should think twice whether or not to take that person's views. But in this case, I've been there, every step of a way. I write from my own experience and though I usually follow my stubborn mind, I can only assure you that I AM NOT COPYING all this from somewhere just to waste my time typing them all back. Hehehe

I'll make it clear. I was always the victim of "speed" in this life simply because "I DON'T HAVE IT". I was a very slow developer because instead of TAKING ACTION right away, I rather spend a lot of time THINKING. (I bet you are not at all surprised. *giggles). I know how it feels to see people run so fast and I'm still standing there thinking "WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT?". It's quite a painful view to see how people wait at nothing just so they can "speed" and leave you behind. For what? To win the race? What race? What's the catch at the end of the race? You can't answer me, right? It's because life is not even a race!

You guys know what? After all this "speed" confusion, I should be thankful for my stubbornness. I should be thankful for my strong principles and my strong faith in myself and my mind. I haven't told you guys that "despite being slow" in development, I was slow for a reason. I was figuring the best plans and best approach to achieve my dreams, and that's why I took my time. I was being realistic and I didn't take it easy because I always have in mind that MY DREAM is a very serious business. I MUST achieve it no matter what. So, during the time I took to discover my way and my strength to achieve my dreams, people don't wait for me. They just too fond of "speed". There are many times when they showed me, "Look where am I now and look where you are. And "appreciate" the difference!" I am just a human being and of course I felt bad. But deep inside my heart, I know THIS IS THE BEST FOR MY LIFE. I CAN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY." Some people, they can't stand this. They give up their own dreams and go for the "speed" just to be "better" so that, "AT LEAST I'M NOT FAR BEHIND". Oh my, should I remind you again that "SPEED" is not in the picture, anymore?

Let's say someone starts working at the age of 23 and starts earning money that young. You can't say that the person has a successful journey just because he started so young. The thing is, by the time the person reach 30, he's still "nowhere". He's not happy, he's not paid well, and yet he's stuck with his work and a lot of stress. As for the other person who takes some times to make a proper long term planning, only starts his career at 30. Quite late, right? But don't be surprised, at the age of 35, he's already enjoying the labour of his work and proper planning. The other person only stays there, still unhappy, still empty and still lost. By the time "the late developer" reaches 50, he has 15 years full of achievements and successes because he found his real comfort zone at 35 when the other person who started at 23, is still puzzled with his life, even at 50. My explanation is simple. The first person worries so much about speed. I tell you again, life is not a race, and it's not about speed. It's the quality of the journey. All you want is make the best from your life and that is not measured with "who starts first" or "who does it first" --- What is the meaning of starting first when you never arrive at the "ultimate achievement", and some don't even know what is the ultimate achievement they want to achieve because THEY DON'T TAKE TIME TO FIGURE IT OUT. They just want it fast, but the fact is, they don't have a clear direction. THINK ABOUT IT!

It's okay to be slow, but you must be slow IN WISDOM, not slow because you are totally clueless about your own life or too lazy to do what you plan. We own our track and we know better. Our aim in life is not WHO REACH THE END FIRST, it's about how wonderful the process is, to accomplish great things as much as possible, and to collect the treasure from this life and IF POSSIBLE, TO GIVE SOME TREASURE BACK TO THIS LIFE by helping and inspiring others. SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION, IT'S A PROCESS. Remember that.

No comments: