Statcounter

Monday, October 18, 2010

Did Maya Karin Really Bring The Rating Down?

I still remember when Maya Karin first went into the limelight, I always admired her beautiful smile. Back then, she was still very odd with the celebrity crowd. She looked a little out of place. Maybe because her Malay wasn't so good and everything she said or did, looked like she tried so hard to blend in. Look at her now. She is sitting quite at a comfortable level on her own. She's considered one of A class actresses in Malaysia, I must say.

If you guys familiar with this show on TV3, Nona, showing every Sunday, 2 PM, it used to be one of the most popular shows on TV3. It's showing topics like fashion, beauty tips, health tips, interesting food recipes and the most popular segment is the wedding highlights. I watch this show too because it gives many kinds of info and brief enough to not make you go bored with segments. Before this, Nona presented hosts from TV figures whether they were one of the newscasters or adapted from the hosting competitions that they held to find for new host talents. After many years with that tradition, finally a few months ago, Nona finally brought in Maya Karin to host this program. For some reason, I was a bit shocked and upset at first. Maya Karin has a good reputation in her acting career. Some of her movies went overexposed like Puntianak Harum Sundal Malam that made everyone started to label her as the "pretty vampire" for quite a while. And then she became the mermaid in the movie Duyung that slowing down her "vampire" image. With all these highlights that go with her name, and suddenly seeing her hosting one of the most seen TV3 programs looks like a Turn-Off to me. The vision that I first had in my mind was this busy actress who was "forced" to host the show despite her busy  schedule after getting a good remuneration offer and after being told that she could make the show gets higher rating. OMG. At least I thought that it was ridiculous to begin with.

Until recently I started reading gossips websites that actually agrees with me. A lot of  viewers out there thought that Maya did not really "feel" what she is saying while hosting the show. She simply reads line by line and put on a very lovely smile and clothes. Unlike the hosts before, the way they did it, you just knew they have been doing homeworks and even did the coverage themselves. You knew that they feel what they read so the viewers could really connect to the words they said. Yes, I felt exactly the same way when I first saw her hosted the show. It was emotionless. Expressionless. I mean, even if it wasn't so, anything seemed faked.
Well, if you agree with me, we are not alone. They have conveyed this matter to the producer of the show and she denied that it was Maya's fault that Nona rating goes down. She blamed it on competitions of the other similar shows from other TV stations. Well, I also don't purposely want to lash out that Maya is the reason for this plunging rating because I still think she's one of the loveliest actresses in Malaysia and I love watching her from head to toe...So whatever it is, she deserves the chance to finish her job and let her do her best. We could not punish her just because she is too glamorous to be a TV host.

The good news is...I still watch Nona every week. Even if I was a bit turned off with Maya hosting the show at first, I still think the show itself is STRONG enough of its own that no matter who host is because the show is defined by the content and not the host. So I should give NONA a big applause because they have successfully made a very effective show that make the viewers love it no matter who the presenter is. Guess what. We are talking about Maya Karin here, and not just an unknown lady off the street. Maybe we just have to stop complaining and enjoy the show. 



*giggles.


1 comment:

StellaClaire-Richard said...

I always love to watch NONA no matter who is the host. For me the content is the most important and if the host is beautiful as Maya Karin, it's a bonus..hehe!