Statcounter

Friday, October 1, 2010

"No, I Can't Be Your Soul Sister"

We heard about Soul Mate. Now Soul Sister. What’s that? Definitely taken from the recent hit, Hey Soul Sister by Train. Haha. After listening to the song, I was still a bit confused what it means by soul sister. It’s more like a term to refer to a lady and not really into a sibling relationship like we would predict. The song is about the singer’s fascination towards this lady when he visited this club. Maybe he liked the way she looked and moved. So, how can this soul sister adapted in real situation?

Since I’ve been in this online world, using this identity, which is NOT exactly anonymous to a few people. I don’t associate so much with everyone. I am the type who picks my friends. Imagine the little crowd that I associated with, I already came across a few who requested me to be their sister. This is not just like, “Can you be my sister?” and then forgot about it. Nope. These few guys who said it to me actually said it repeatedly till I ran out of things to say. Like it matters so much to them! My answer has been the same to each of them. “Sorry, I don’t need another brother.”

The fact is that, this is online world. Bro and sister relationship won’t make a difference. We are all connected when we go online and then we chat about anything. There won’t be a time when becoming someone’s sister or brother would make a difference to this flow. I treat all my online friends pretty much the same. They write, I read and I respond. I will still give my best opinions, share my best thoughts and spare time to have a good chat. So with requests like that, I can’t see how relevant it is in this nature of our encounter.

The common reason why a guy would ask me to be his sister is when he’s younger in age, and there’s no possibility to be more than friends; whether the guy already has someone, or the guy knows I have someone, or even if the guy doesn’t know that I have someone he still think he won’t be the kind of guy that I want to date. The best way to benefit is just to ask for something a bit more secure than just friends. Yes I KNOW your reasons. But those reasons don’t work for me. To me, becoming someone’s sister comes with a responsibility. I don’t think I have that much space for that. I prefer that we are just friends. I don’t want to be someone’s sister just to fail to be one.

Recently this new chatter, who becomes the latest addition to the little community of online friends that I associate with, asked me that question again. But this time he’s using the word Soul Sister. When we started chatting a few days ago, he was showing some so much interest and very keen to keep in contact with me. I remember joking around with him and said, “Let’s make a rule here. We can chat but NEVER FALL IN LOVE.” I sounded like I was kidding but I meant it. One thing that screws cyber friendship is when one starts to have cybercrush. It happens a lot and it has happened a lot before, enough for me to set the rule for new friends. It’s just in normal human beings to feel something when they find the comfort in chatting with you, and then they feel happy when they chat with you. The next thing is they don’t want to miss a day from chatting with you, and they start calling you sweet names and finally confess that they feel something for you. Heck that’s NORMAL. It happens to all the ladies and guys too, I believe. So I jokingly set the rule for him and he agreed and promised that he won’t. He kept telling me he won't fall for ladies like me because I'm way above his standard. My point is only one. We can be online friends, yes FRIENDS.

Funny thing happened when the other day, the guy said that when he was hanging out with his friends, he wanted to leave early so he could chat with me. He said that he didn’t know why he felt that way. He kept thinking about me. He said maybe because he was always happy when he chatted with me. It was the nite when he asked me “Can you be my soul sister?” then you guys already know my answer. He was offended. “Am I not good enough to be your brother?” I kept saying that it makes no difference! He said There is a difference. “I have respect for you, I take all your advice to heart and I can always turn to you when I have problems.” I said, you still can do all that even just as friends! And he added, “One more thing is, so I can never feel anything more for you because you are a sister.” I teased him jokingly and said, “See? You want me to be your sister so that you won’t fall in love with me, right?” Hahahahahaha I was kidding. I was a bit tired of explaining and he kept refusing my No.

“I will prove to you that one day you will accept me as your brother.” I remember he ended the chat that nite with that line. I felt funny inside. I always thought that things like this are only jokes. I mean, people who say it should think it’s a joke, so I must not take it seriously too. But when they say some serious lines that makes me feel like it really matters to them, I have a reason to at least not joke too much with that. “Maybe they really mean it.”

Hahaha. I don’t know. Look, you really want to be a brother that makes a difference to me…wait until we bump into each other and see if we have that mutual chemistry that you can be my third brother (cos I already have two, don’t you know it yet? Hahaha). Maybe I just have to admit to you guys that it’s easier to ask to be my Big Brother than my little brother cos as a person I am, I know that I only can be a good little sister. Actually, that’s my strongest answer. If only I tell it earlier in this post, maybe I don’t have to type this long, right? Hahahahahaha. Kidding.

Maybe I can't be your soul sister, but who knows maybe I can be your soul friend. :)

Note: I found this definition in Google dictionary for soul sisters -"A woman whose thoughts, feelings, and attitudes closely match those of another; a kindred spirit."

No comments: