Statcounter

Sunday, January 30, 2011

You Are Who Your Friends Are?


People say that you are who your friends are. If you want to be smart, mix with the top achievers. If you want to be among the bad-ass, you must start talk and act like them. So you know, as we grow up, people always believe that we are influenced by our friends. Which is quite true, actually. Anyway, please note. It doesn’t come true on its own. YOU make it true.

History has shown us that people do get influenced by their friends. You learn and start to imitate your friends and what they do and how they do it. Maybe’s it’s one of the attributes in human being that we tend to copy other people for what they do and say if we be around them frequent enough. So, what do you think?

I write this post because I want to highlite something about this. Speaking of imitating our friends, I do agree but you’re most exposed to danger when you are still in your adolescence. You are just learning how to become a human being and here is where everything is new to you. You don’t know which to take and accept so when you have an influence that gives you the reason to pick certain things, I guess it’s normal. It’s the time when you made the silliest mistakes that you might regret for the rest of your life. This is also the very challenging time for the parents to watch over you so that you will not do anything you might regret. When you enter adulthood, it should be a different story. You must know how to handle things, which to accept, what to pick and who to mingle with. Now you are totally responsible for your every deeds. So I am in adulthood now. I SHOULD know what to do. I should know what’s right and wrong and no one should influence me the way I don’t allow. Everything happen with my consent.

To be someone who is growing and not easily influenced by “bad friends”, is that possible? The answer is Yes, it’s possible. Why I said it? Because I’ve been there. I have had friends who lead a totally opposite lifestyle, and we could still sit down and talk about the things we have in common. When it comes to their “danger zone”, I put a very strong shield, telling myself that what they did is wrong. I tell you what’s the secret. The secret is the RATIONAL mind. This is how I respond to my parents’ strict way of bringing us up. I interpreted it that my parents feel that educating us to be good human beings is their biggest mission. And considering that they are successful halfway, why would I spoil the other half? Is it worth it? Sometimes I am proud to be a self-centered person, because when I make a certain agenda, I start to build principle and dignity around it, and I will stand by it no matter what. If I don’t, it would be a big failure of the century, and you guys know I’m smart enough to do something to avoid it. Yeah, you blame it on my ego. But this is the kind of ego that will make a lot of people win and they are the people I love. It’s almost a mission impossible in this world full of sins. Don’t tell me you don’t want to be the one to hold the trophy.

Even today, I am surrounded by people who have “funny” lifestyle. I have fag friend who told me he resorts to “selling body” after he got really frustrated with his –boyfriend- and he did it with different guy everynight, and earns money from it. I have a few married ladies who keep boyfriends and act like angels in front of their husband. I also have friends who are professional liars they always know what to say to back up their wrongdoings.  Do I need to be like them just because I can accept them as friends? The answer is Yes or No, up to you. But to me, No, I can never be like them. Maybe my life is not so cool, but either are theirs. I think some of you are too busy getting influenced by people. Maybe  we should break this chain of "bad influences" and be the first one in your circle to open their eyes that influence. Ask yourself this question, is the kind of life you are leading now gives the right kind of influence to your friends? After you answer, ask yourself, do you like your answer? If no, there's something need to be done. Good luck!

No comments: