Statcounter

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Tale Of Two Sisters

We were like inseparable. I remember when we were small, we were so close. We went everywhere together. We slept beside each other and sometimes we even wore the same kind of dress, just with different colours. That was how we were back then. My parents’ way of treating us made us even close. They used the concept that we should never leave the other one behind.

I remember that my sister was so adorable when she was a kid. She used to get so many compliments while I just stood watching she got flattered by people. I remember that she was a very hyper kid too. And also very bright. I remember being in the same class with her for Sunday school, and guess what, she was the teacher’s pet. She scored the best in the class. Ouch, was that my sister? *giggles. So you know that I was not getting any attention near my sister. She was always the winner in everything.

When we started schooling, my sister got to register with the school of my parents’ choice but I didn’t. The school was full when it was my turn to enroll. I was forced to go to a newer school, not even in the list. My sister was still so bright in what she did. I didn’t realize that I always looked up to her as my benchmark. I never be a competitive sister who wanted to beat my sister in anything. I just accepted the fact that she was just good, likable and positive – UNLIKE me. :)

As we grew bigger, I started to feel the changes of attention. At one point, I thought that my sister started to lose all the attention. I started getting the kind of attention that she used to get. My aunts started commenting about me instead of my sister. I remember at once occasion, they were surprised to see me after a long time and started to flatter me and left my sister behind. “Eh your sister is skinny la. Macam kau baru la seksi” or when they saw me smiling, “Wah you got nice teeth o kan.” It made me wonder, Ouch, so it was my turn now?

Maybe it was not about me. Maybe it was about my sister who was gradually slowing down from getting under the limelight. She started to show changes in attitudes and others when she was in secondary school. She often talked about problems with teachers when she said this certain teacher was always trying to make her life hard. I didn’t really know what happened to my dear sister because I was sent away from home for my secondary school. I was not there to see how it all started to change. What I knew was the next time I came home, my sister had changed into a different individual. She was NOT who she used to be. She preferred to be alone and not mix with people as much as she did. She talked so little and prefer to mind her own business. I also developed to be someone else after being away from home most of the time for 5 years. When I finally moved back home, I almost forgot about how close we used to be. I almost forgot that I was the ugly duckling, she was the princess. I almost forgot that she was the smarter one and she was the likable one. I also forgot that I was always tailing my sister and I could not trust myself do or go anywhere if my sister was not around. Yes, I actually forgot all that for a while because of the different personalities that we have developed to be.

During college year, I bumped into her old friend, her bestfriend back in secondary school. We talked a bit and to my surprise, she mentioned to me, “Your sister has changed a great deal. She was not like before.” I was like, “Omg, so you notice that too??” She answered, “Of course I do. Before this, her attitude is LIKE YOU now.” My oh my. She was right. We used to be 2 hyper sisters. We resembled each other except for, She was brighter in everything else I wasn’t.

I also remember at this one occasion. A senior who knew my sister much earlier than she knew me said something to me. “The first time I saw you, I was a bit shocked to see the difference. At one glance I know that you are a person who has a vision.” I remember that line because these people made me realize how different we were from one another. I remember feeling uneasy. If you think I enjoyed being compared to my sister, NO I didn’t. To me, I was used to being behind my sister. It was okay to me if she got all the compliments. But it was different now. At one point, I hoped I could tell the world how my sister used to be. Anything that they could see in me, my sister was once the champion.

Now we are both grown-ups. We have our own career. I’m so happy that my sister gets so much grace from above. Although she was out of the limelight, but she has been doing things for others that made her “the more familiar sister” to most of my relatives. I was the “lost sister” who was seldom there during get-togethers. I’m sure, even in the present, my sister still wins all the credit.

Today, I am sitting here typing all this right now – I can feel that GOD is making it all back to how it used to be. I saw my sister’s changes lately. I saw that she started to get back into the track of how she used to be. I WANT to see my sister like before. I know she used to be a bright kid, and she has a very good life now, but I just want to see her back to her original self. I want to see her as hyper as I am and even if this means I am going to be at number 2 again. I don’t mind. My sister has done a lot of sacrifices for me and the rest of the family. She has a big heart. I know God acknowledged it too and that’s why my sister always has a way to get what she wants. I just want her to be at her maximum personality – Just be that “kid” once again. Be my better sister. I don’t mind if she wins the attention again. I don’t mind losing to my own only sister. I have myself to win my own battle. I have everything else in my life to be victorious. But in this part, she still deserves the number 1 spot. :)

This makes me smile. God and His mysterious ways at work again. Soon, I want us to sit together once again and experience the same feeling that we used to have. Two very close sisters who don’t compete with each other, who support and wish the best for each other and eventually both achieve their own dreams.

This is the BEST outcome I have for the Tale of Two Sisters. Hope we are going there. I KNOW we are heading there :)

*giggles.

No comments: