Statcounter

Sunday, February 9, 2014

How Much Politeness Is Possible?

Speaking of being polite at work, I do respect my customers. I do treat them nicely and friendlily as much as I can afford to. But then I have a few awkward people who come just like my other customers but they are not really my customers. I rather keep it "straight to business" when it comes to work. So to me, if you try to go hanky panky, I call that "crossing the line". I have some of them tried to act so funny by getting me in a long conversation just to ask me out or tell me tales that is outside the border of work talk. Not enough with that, it got me really uncomfortable when suddenly I thought that I became a "victim" in my own place - having to endure so much dramas from people who are just Too Free. Sorry if I start to sound irritating. Hahaha.

There is this particular one guy, who really pissed me off recently. Everytime when he came, I talked nicely to him cos at first, he looked like he was "the faithful type" who listens to his wife cos I don't like flirty guys. His wife is my customer too. He happened to drop by so often just to chit chat with me since last year. For quite some time I thought he was so genuinely asking these questions so I just answered the best I could. Only after a while I noticed that he was just making topics to have a conversation. And the painful part is that, he made me waste so much time just to be polite to him. Due to how often he dropped by, I had to answer all his questions (which mostly are just to fill in the blanks) I became this human robot who has the obligation to answer to the most nonsense questions like, "What are you doing? Why do you draw the line like that? Are you doing work? Is it urgent? bla bla bla O-MY-Gee Spare Me!!! You don't come to my place and question why I am working, that is my workplace, darn it!!! (Hahahahahahaha) So I still could stand those questions at first, not until he started to show his true colour. He started to comment on what I wear, he started to compliment me, and I saw how he looked at me from head to toe while I was busy trying to get a job done, and he just sat there making me feel like a puppet. It was when I shifted his category to the guys who are into harassing the ladies just with their words. Sorry, that is NOT SO DECENT to me. Just yesterday he dropped by and I was having my Nasi Ayam at 4 PM and he saw that I did not really welcome him so he started questioning "Why are you having nasi ayam at 4 PM, is that your normal lunch time? bla bla bla bla bla) Tell me, isn't this too much? What should I do to people who don't respect the line? When you see I am working, and I am in my own place, and you are NOT even my customer, nor my friend, you just come because you are too free and I have to entertain you like I have nothing better to do. 

I know I sound quite rude by saying this. I know this is not how we treat another person. But I have this concept that if a person starts to disturb your peace and comfort and they don't even care about it, I think that I shouldn't be so polite anymore. How long should I wait until I run out of patience and just let my own comfort disrupted by the people who have other things to do but choose to disturb you. So I told him, Sorry I have to do some work. Can you please wait outside? (since he always uses the excuse that he's waiting for someone). So really. We can't avoid from dealing with people who get on our nerve  right? As much as we know we should treat people nicely, but sorry, we have our limits too. And none of us are perfect. I have to do sthing to show him that I am not comfortable so I have to speak up. I feel bad if I hurt anyone but I don't have much choice. You can do anything on your own. You want to dress like a Batman, or wear a wig, or wear your wife's highheels, I won't judge you or think bad of you but when you start to involve me in your behaviour then I have the right to feel offended. Whoa, I can feel some heat coming out from my both ears now. Hahaha. So okay. Lets not do this, okay?

I noticed that I did the same kind of "harassment" on this guy at work by asking him all the silly questions thinking that he wouldn't mind answering, such as, "Do you know what kind of soup flavour they use of the Pan Mee on that restaurant? He got quite pissed with questions like that. So right away I noticed that I could be doing it too much. Hahahahaha. You see? Sometimes we do that and we don't even know. So please be a bit sensitive. This is what we do to fit around people. So if we care about our public relation, we will not continue doing things that offend others. We will straight away change our ways. Please make it easier for people to be polite to us, that's fair and square, right? 

Note: Don't ask for politeness, show them you deserve it!


No comments: