Statcounter

Thursday, March 28, 2019

How Well Can You Know Someone From Their FB Posts?



This woman and her husband, came to my place a few years ago. After a few encounters, at least I remember her husband's politeness. And then the woman and I became FB friends not long after. I could describe this couple as IDEAL, because they were always together, tagging each other's name and with sweet captions on how supportive their partner was. And I already met them both, I could see their closeness and bond. Happy and ideal couple.

Last year, I remember not long after the election, I saw their post again at a Raya open house in July. Standing side by side in the photo just like usual with their hands on each other. Not an unusual view and could anyone spot anything wrong with them just by looking at another set of loving pics and the sweet FB posts?

Suddenly in October, the wife posted something like, "FINALLY, I'M FREE" I was so so shocked so they just got divorced!! After 13 years of marriage and 3 happy kids. Then the wife started to post bitter things about the marriage and the partner she just ditched from her life. She said all the time she was in a toxic relationship and described her ex husband as a narcissist. She said she was always tired when he was around and when he was not around suddenly she was energetic. Then she mentioned how the guy sucked all the energy around her. Which means, she was not even happy with that man since a long time ago. DARN, darnn...  I tell you I was so so disturbed. How come you guys been posting stuff on FB like you were living in a castle of your dream? Imagine the kind of inspiration and maybe jealousy too caused by your happy posts, towards your friends who thought they were not that lucky? I mean, all those are officially fake? Oh gosh.

This is not new. I've heard my friend said, how the happy couple in FB was all fake when the husband just sent the wife and kid out from the house and the wife had to find her own way to continue living. IMAGINE THAT? Then my friend said, "Bukan main bahagia dorang kalau di FB. Rupanya di luar porak peranda" Oh gosh guys, stop this! I mean I know that none of the couples intend to end up going their own way but Why people, do you feel the pressure to put a fake show on FB that your life is nothing but a bed or roses? Or maybe it was the real happy moments but things change so fast and nothing lasts forever. This is about posting everything in FB. It scares the heck of me.

That's why always have the thought in your head to not Overdo it to the point that it becomes A SHOW to people and they start to see you as some FB celebrity and they will want to know what's now and what's next. You can't control people but you can control yourself. I think the sin that FB does to us is when it starts to put a pressure on us to just put a good cover to what's happening in reality. Just because you saw your friend was happy with her marriage life and family, you want to get even and do your side of story in the same manner. And it becomes a competition of who generates more likes and reactions. When the fact is, real life is just so spontaneous that it happens without plot and happy captions. In the end it's always a better choice to save a bit of your private life to yourself. I don't say this by making myself a good example. No. I'm not good either. I want too much privacy and that makes me boring in social media. I think if you are playing cool and just be original, be real, be human rather than trying to look cool and show only the good things, I think that should be alright.

So back to the title. How well can you know people from their FB posts? Now you know what the answer is. What you see could be just the mask. Speaking of me, I have FB for my online identity only. Despite all the secrets, I still give details and clues in my daily FB posts. Maybe you guys have an idea or imagination based on the little details but do you think any of your assumptions about me is at least true? Here I want to say that NO, you may not know that much about me from the clues. But funny thing is, in real life I'm not hiding. You just don't know which one is me. All the fractions of photos are real ones. The posts of my cookings, the gifts, everything - are real. But I have so many good things that I don't post. I have vacation photos and videos that I really love and if only I could post them for people to see. But in my head is just one question. Why would I post when these people don't necessarily want to see them? Cos our FB friends are mostly people in the network who don't know us. There is only a small number of people Who Care to know. So I only share with these people in  our FB secret group. Rest assured what I post won't be wasted on eyes that don't even bother to see and know. And to all the FB addicts, know something that people who don't post every happy things, can actually be happier than you. Life is still happening to them and they are living it without trying to please people and their expectation. So doesn't matter if your life is boring in FB but in real life you are living every second of it. I rather do that than to be burdened by social media pressure to post only the good things. Oh man,  spare me that. 

Don't rely too much on what you see and read in FB. If you think you want to know something, just see that person outside FB. Oh, I remember my customer. I met him first before I saw his FB. He's really charming in person, soft spoken and gentle but in FB he looks like an older guy who can't even spell correctly. Hahahaha. Seriously, can we trust FB at all? Hahahahaha. OK then, make your own conclusion.

No comments: