Statcounter

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

When Your NickName Makes You Mighty


Example of an MIRC window. Note those with @ before their nicks. Those are channel operators.

Nicknames, I’m sure all of you have it. We meet in the online world. People move around in the cyberworld using nicknames for people to recognize them. We don’t really have a choice like this in the real world. Now that we have the freedom to use whatever name we want for people to identify us, isn’t that fun?

As for me, I have used a few nicknames since the early time that I started to use MIRC. In MIRC, nicknames are very powerful. Maybe it’s the same with other chat programme but I focus on MIRC because I’ve been chatting here for years. I witness it how nickname is WHO YOU ARE, regardless who your real identity is in the real world. See how fun and troublesome this can get you.

The other day, one of my best online buddies private-messaged me in MIRC. He asked me to join a channel, which is quite well-known. One thing about me and MIRC, I don’t like joining a lot of channels. I have to turn my friends down when they invited me to their channels. I want to give a quality chat and that can’t happen if I have to entertain too many windows. He kept begging me, “Please join my channel. I need you there”. Well, I then joined the channel and found out that actually he DIDN’T need me there at all. Hahahaa. The channel was filled with active chatters and the public window was moving quite fast from people typing in. I stayed for a while and watched the channel. I could see that most of the chatters there were chanting my friend’s nickname because they wanted to get Operator status for that channel. When you get the access as a channel operator, you can kick (+k) and ban (+b) people and even give people voice (+v) and even change the channel’s topic and other things. It’s giving you the access that normal chatters don’t have. Trust me, MIRC and this power thing is very much in common for many years. From what I hear, the SOP (the higher rank of operator that can add and delete normal operator (AOP)) even “sell” the access or maybe exchange it with something. The exchange is usually in the form of access in the other channel or it can get really kinky that I heard that some chatter even agreed to sleep with the Founder just to get that access. Omigawd. I hope that’s not true. Isn’t that crazy?

Now you know how Influential is A FOUNDER of a channel, especially when the channel is big and famous. The channel is considered big and famous when there are many chatters joining in. When that happens, you can expect to get the royal treatment if you happen to be the Founder. Yes, even in MIRC people have a way to give a royal treatment for the influential nicks. Yes nicks. Remember, YOUR NICK is WHO YOU ARE here.

Back to the story of my friend’s channel. I mean, I have No Idea that he is the Founder of that channel. That time, he was using the nick that is registered as the Founder of the channel, which the other chatters can check out using certain command. He said the pressure was really high when he used that nickname. The chatters kept messaging him asking for the access. I saw it too. I mean, all of a sudden, I could feel How Influential he was in that nick. The other time when I joined just to look around, I still saw people mentioning his nick repeatedly even when he was not around. I mean, when you have people fighting to get access in your channel, you can consider that your MIRC profession is successful. There’s nothing more people want in MIRC than to be that influential. This will not stop at the cyberworld only. When the chatters agree to meet up, trust me the Founder will still get a special seat or get the rest to buy him/her drinks and pay for the foods. Hahaaha. I mean, that could happen. I know it sounds funny but it happens. In some cases, this can even turn into business where the Founder can offer a certain price for anyone who wants to “buy” that channel and when the deal takes place, the channel’s password will be passed to the new owner. In other case, the Founder will find someone else that he can trust and pass the password so that the person can look after that channel. If a channel is treated like “A Gold”, that makes The Founder the Rich Man who owns that gold. Now, do you still wonder why channel Founders can get that influential? Hehehe.

Anyway, if you can get that influential in MIRC, why not, right? I don’t think anybody can be like that. You must know the commands well to manage your channel well and even attract people to go to your channel before it gets famous. Everything starts from zero so consider that it’s an accomplishment to finally have people chanting your name to ask for access. Suddenly all your effort to build the channel is paid off. I think it’s cool and just carry on bring that influence with you as long as you are still around in MIRC. The only thing that make me concerned is that some people Overreact towards this MIRC Power. Some of the operators also abuse their power to make some chatters day miserable. Also, let’s not make this a reason why you lose your face and dignity. It’s just the power that you can have when you join MIRC. Outside MIRC, you don’t have that power. People won’t even care if you are the channel operator of which channel, you’re still who you are and what you are doing in the real life. Look, to those who are too obsessed with your MIRC Power, come on. This is just MIRC, A chat programme. When you /quit, you are back to reality. It’s good that you can be so powerful everytime you log in, but what for when you are a coward in the real world?

The Dare is….

Don’t just be A HERO in MIRC, but also A HERO in the real world. :)

No comments: