Statcounter

Saturday, July 31, 2010

When Genetics Are To Be Blamed

We know that certain things run in the family. Whether it’s some traits, physical resemblance or even illnesses – it could pass from one generation to the next. It’s the genetic codes that cause this to happen. If the mom has dominant genes, more likely the kids will carry the mom's traits. Isn’t it good to have a good resemblance of our parents? That’s why people do care to know about one’s background before they think about taking it further cos they believe that people from “good breed” will most likely produce infants who carry the same traits.

I thought of writing this topic after a visit from my cousin the other day. I could see that she’s getting bigger in size. As a matter of fact, her siblings are all oversize. She has another 1 sister and 2 brothers. I still remember, her older sister used to speak out loud about her new year resolution – “I want to lose weight and become slim”. She also told how she planned to cut meals and go jogging. Years passed by, she never succeeded. Everytime I saw her, she was never smaller. I thought that maybe she never got to make the effort to slim down. Deep down, I understand how much she wanted to have the body that can fit any clothes. As for the other sister, the cousin who visited my workplace – better news for her. I saw her sizing down quite a lot after her college years. Not considered slim but a perfect shape for someone with her height and frame. Maybe the pressure of living away from family contributed to that. But that was years ago. Now she’s back to the size, just as big as her sister. Their other female cousin (who is not related to me) also went to my office last year. She also told me a story how she was once a “gorilla” who quit eating rice for a year just to look like a female again. How she said it make me feel the exhaustion of trying so hard just to get in shape. How she eats soup instead of other delicious dishes at the restaurant and not to mention going to Slim World and trying all kinds of slimming products that she could afford. And looking at the result, she’s still big and people would expect her to reduce a lot more before she can have the shape other women envy. So my cousin’s visit that time told me that she knew it that the Large genetics run in their family. She gets it from her mom (She is related to me through his dad; who is my dad’s brother) Everyone in her mom’s family are big. She said, “We can never slim down no matter what we do. This is genetic.”

Yes, they envy the ladies with small and slim body. They have done their best. They have cut meals and exercise. But they ended up feeling tired without seeing the result. Even if they see the result, it’s never enough and they go back to their old size really fast and only grow bigger from there. How does it feel when you want something so bad but you’re cursed with your genetic traits that you can never look as good as u ever want for your entire life? What if it’s about physical appearance that influence people’s impression about you, and also the opportunities in life that you deserve to get? How does it feel to want something so much but are too helpless that you can’t do nothing about it?

I also have genetic traits that I would wish to do not have them. But after all the years, I still learn to love what I like and make these traits work for me. I found out that when we see something as a weakness, we have something else that balance it for us. At the end of the day, something that we can’t change in ourselves – they don’t have to be WHAT people look in us. We have other things that make people value us. As for my big cousins, the elder sister is a very compassionate and kind person. The younger sister is a smart and firm person. I totally see their values and I never think their genetic trait come in between that. If they don’t succeed as a beauty pageant, so what? They can succeed as a teacher or as a customer service executive, right? I’m glad my cousins can be open enough to say something about them being oversize and not feel down and accept this as “another creation” by God. You don’t argue but you can make it work for you.

So are you one? Not happy with your genetic traits? Never blame your parents or ancestors. Things happen for a reason, and even if they don’t, you can turn it around. From the spiritual point of view, it’s A SOUL with a body, not A BODY with a soul. So our soul is always whole and nothing can hurt it. If you can make that inner beauty shines regardless your physical appearance, I think you will get a big reward from God cos you solve A Riddle that If you can surpass your appearance resulting from your genetic trait, you’ll be given WISDOM not many people have because except for death, nothing can get u down :) That’s what Self-Value gives to those who love the creation that God made in them :)

No comments: