Statcounter

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cooking With Love...

I still remember years ago when I got attacked by this extraordinary stomach pain, which I could not get any night sleep for almost 2 weeks. I asked my dad to pick me up from the hostel in the dark morning. I could see the look on his face especially. He even went to the chapel the day after, which we could guess, to pray for my recovery. I could never understand how they feel that time. But now I think I understand. 

Last nite, my dad got sick. His sore throat got worse after Ash Wednesday mass last night. Today on our way home from work, my sister told me my dad's sickness is kinda bad, unlike the usual. He did go to the clinic with my brother earlier today. I suddenly became too concerned and worried. I wanted to go home quickly to check on my dad's condition. I went quick to the supermarket and bought some foods, including instant lemon tea, which I know is good for sore throat. My dad is one very unselfish man. So unless he's really in very bad condition, he won't ask for your favour. I came home and saw my dad sleeping at the living room. He realized that I just arrived, and I asked him if he wanted some porridge. He said No. Told you. He won't make a request that he thought might burden you. That's my dad. But I didn't care, I just straight ahead and cooked porridge really fast without him knowing. My parents used to think that my kind of cooking is only for the guests, or whoever that come to visit, or during celebration. Not for normal days like today. 

As I was preparing on cooking the porridge, my eyes became teary when I remember when I was sick before, it was my two parents who were preparing the porridge. Maybe their hearts were heavy too, thinking about my condition that time. So I found myself in their place now, making the porridge with A Great Hope and I don't know why, that time I thought that the porridge I was preparing was Really Gonna Heal him. I prepared it with the thoughts that all the nutrition he needs would be in the porridge. So I made sure I cooked the way I cooked for some special visitors or guests in our house. I did it all in half an hour. I made hot lemon tea, and squeezed some lemon into it to add to the acidic effect. That is what will react to the virus on the throat. I know this for sure cos this is my most common disease. I have learnt all the self defense possible against it. So I put it on the table and asked my dad to drink the lemon tea, and he did. After he drank it, he could clear his throat and talked a bit. I knew it worked. So after that, I kept asking him to eat the porridge, though he said he was not hungry. But he just couldn't resist my request. He took some of the porridge and ate it. I knew it by the time he ate it, it would heal him. Or at least make his sickness ease up. In the meantime, I wanted my dad to not think that his sickness is that bad. I kept telling them how I was healed from a serious sore throat before. How I thought my throat was wounded, but nope. It was just the sickness that made it feel so bad. And how I ate a few kinds of medicine for 2 weeks, and none worked. Until I ate this Breacol, bought from the pharmacy, and only my throat started to heal. Guess what? It was my dad who bought the Breacol for me. He forgot that he was behind my recovery a lot of time when I got sick. I thought that Breacol was just an ordinary medicine, but when a caring and responsible dad who bought it for his kid to heal, it made the medicine more effective. I don't know. Lets just assume that kind of magic exist. 

Because of all the cares, all the appreciation and faith, that's how I could almost feel it was more than just food and drink that I prepared for him. Plus, all my prayer for their health, and protection from God, I did not doubt that God is answering to my every prayer, especially when I say it everyday. If I can love my family that much, God must love them more. And so He will heal my dad. Maybe that's what they call Cooking With Love. It's foods that you prepare not just to bite or to fill the stomach, but also you pour all your thoughts of love as you prepare them. Cook for their happiness and wellbeing of the people who eat them. These are the additional ingredients that will make the food work wonders, and taste better too!

So guys, next time you know what to do. Get in the kitchen, and prepare a "magic potion". When it comes to your loved ones, you certainly have the ability! Stay healthy everyone! :))  

No comments: