Statcounter

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tribute To Father's Day 2011: "This Man..."


If we are asked who we love the most, many would mention their mom first. Of course, the dad will come after that. He should. Or if you can put him in one line as your mom, do it. This person that you call your dad, is partly the reason how you can be here. While our mom was in labour to give birth to us, This man was the most excited person waiting outside. He could be the most worried person in the world. He could also be the most prepared person he would start thinking about saving up for your schooling and even imagine you wearing your graduating cap. This guy that I mention, isn’t just any guy. He’s our dad.

I am really in the right position to write something about him because I’ve been the daddy’s girl since I was kid. I was remembered by most of my relatives as “that little girl” who followed her dad around. My dad was always patient with me because of my difficult nature. I remember everytime I woke up from sleep and found out I was alone in the room, I cried and my dad would come to pat me until I stopped crying. Maybe there’s a reason behind me being the daddy’s girl. It could possibly be traits that I inherit from my dad. Yeah, I get some of my nature from him. My temper. I also inherit my dad’s talkativeness and I am not sure if I also have that “natural comedian” in me cos my dad has it. When he mingles with our relatives, usually the little group would be full of laughter because of the funny things that my dad says. Hahaha. It’s cute to recall. I realize that if it isn’t for a special day like this, I would just let all the little details pass.


Speaking of growing up, not all are lucky to have parents who make sure that we have good faith in religion. My dad, made it a routine for us to attend church every week since we were kids. Even when I was too young to understand what was going on there, or understand English (since my dad always attended English mass), he would just let me sit there beside him even when I was busy sleeping or playing with the kids sitting behind us. As a result, we find church as a peaceful place. Even when we have struggle in our faith as we grow older, and even get lazy to attend the weekly mass, we never “make enemies” with the church as always get back to the lifestyle of “if your life is doing good, means you should have time for weekly mass”. Dad, thanks for this. It helps a lot in living a life with virtues.

My dad is always very strict. Maybe because he had to work in a very young age to earn for his family, and then helped his siblings, he didn’t have much space for himself. He quit school very early because of financial problem and then he started building life. He has reasons why he put all his hopes on us. I understand that, dad. I remember that he first taught us ABC, he canned my fingers with ruler because I just could not get the learning right. He also rewarded us with coins if we finished doing our workbook. He was also the person who pulled my hand forcing me to get up on my first day at school. I also remember that after PMR, I told my dad I wanted to move to another school because I could not bear the pressure being in the elite school and my dad did everything I asked. This is not to mention that he would rush to clinic if any of us got fever, even in the rain. He could not compromise on his children’s health. I remember when I was at the hostel, I had this strange illness on my stomach, that went on for a week, and I called my dad “I want to go home.” My dad was so panicked because of the phonecall cos he thought that I would not ask to go home unless it was so terrible. He went out from home very early to go to the chapel to pray before we went to the clinic. As I was being examined by the doctor, I could see the panic in my his face. Luckily it was just gastric. I feel so touched as I write this, and I think that my dad has done A LOT for us. I could not mention all here because there’s NO WAY I could be able to do it. As I write, I realize even more that I have not done much to repay him.


My dad is just a normal man who had struggled to overcome his weaknesses and luckily, he has changed a great deal when alcoholism almost ruined the marriage. When I was 16, there was this big argument between my mom and dad when my dad was drunk and I cried so hard. It was my dad’s fault so I thought that I should do something. I came out and took out my anger and said to my dad, “If you end up like this then you should never teach us to go to church because you are not doing what you preach. What you taught us about being good and doing good was all USELESS until you show us in example that you can do the same first, and then only expect us to do the same.” My dad went silent. It was a day when he decided to change a great deal. It took the incident to make a big shift in his life. 


I saw it in my dad that a man could have all that flaws but if they are the men with values, they would not make anything ruin their most precious treasure. Not all men able to do this. So I’m thankful that my dad is one of them. My mom is lucky because my dad is not like the modern dads out there, who have social life issues that could lead to bigger problems. Apart from the problem with alcohol, my mom still knows that he’s still the best father to us. My dad is the type who is so conventional that he only lives his life for his family. Call him the most unsophisticated dad but as a result to that, my parent’s marriage is sturdy. I’m thankful for that.

One thing that I can see is that what our dad wants is not for us to give him back all the money he spent. No. What he wants is for us to be human, who could build our own life, and we do good from there. If we have a job that can secure us a good life, it’s all the relief that he wants. He wants to see us be a successful and useful person. If we can stand on our own, I think that’s when he thinks that his effort and sacrifices finally pay off.

I have let my dad down many times but the love of a father to his kids is just beyond the ordinary kind of conditional love. Just like our mom, our dad would just find a way to forgive us, and never abandon us when we are in trouble. Like I said before, we could have men come and go in our lives, but This Man, will stay and never leave. Most guys we know would only come to us because they want something from us and always make us a subject of evaluation, are we pretty enough, smart enough or kind enough. Our dad, in the other hand, know us more than any of these guys would and would still stay with us even if we are the ugliest girl around. Even when we have hurt his heart, along with his prayer that he wish that we would change, his love for us will never change.

To all my friends, spend a moment today to think how much have we done to our dad. Be thankful that we still have him around and it’s never too late to make him happy. Without him, we will not be here today. Say a prayer so that God will always put him under His care – at least, for everything that he has done for his kids. Fatherhood is the most challenging task for a man and some of the men, have successfully pull off this mission. The rest of the men who are still looking around “for the value”, look at these fathers. And until you become one, then only you realize that your manly nature is never bigger than your fatherly responsibilities. 


Thanks for being my dad. I could never ask for a better father. You are the Best of the Best. *giggles. God bless you, dad :)

No comments: