Statcounter

Monday, April 30, 2012

"Then Who Is The Best Person For The Job?"



There is this scenario:

Lets say I own this big and reputable company. I have this manager, a guy who is likeable by some, hateable by some. And his haters just get larger, everytime that a new story about the manager is being circulated among the workers. I receive complain letters by the staff, addressing to me about the matter that they think it's about time that I should pick a new manager.

I feel the need to make a meeting session, where all normal workers must present I need to settle this thing, since I don't want the matter to grow and affect the performance of the company.

"So, I receive many complaints about the manager. I learn that some of you want him to be replaced. Can I see how many of you who agree that we need a new manager?

So I could see quite a large percentage of them raise the hands.

"Looks like there's quite a number of you agree that the manager should be replaced. Can I know why, and what proofs you have to support your claims about his misconducts?"

Then the guy, who acts like the representative of the workers, read out his points, and every arguments that support his points. I find that some of them are considered serious, and if they are right, the manager is considered corrupted. I feel the need to find a solution.

"So looks like you guys have all your points ready. If I consider all that statements as the reasons to fire my own manager, who has been working with me for so many years, and have showed achievements and credible in his duty, and also part of the reason why this company is what it is today, then I assume that you guys should have A BETTER person who can replace this manager. May I know who is that person that you guys sure will perform and make up for the weaknesses that this manager has?

Suddenly I saw them looking at each other, with a question mark. Then after a while, the representative speaks, "I think we should give Guy B a try. I'm sure he can do better than the manager, after some practice and experience. Anyone here, worth a try, as long as we get rid of the manager."

"ANYONE randomly? If I pick you, can you run this company better than the existing manager?" as I point at the representative.

With hesitation, he says, "Maybe I am not qualified, but I think Guy B is qualified because he's also a senior worker and I'm sure he can do the job. Just give him a try."

Then suddenly, a crowd of people, who are pro to the manager, voice out their protests. A few of them say something bad about Guy B too, and claim they also have proofs. To my raw judgments, the accusations are also equally serious. Then I saw the two groups are exchanging words, trying to defend the guy they think is qualified as the manager.

I ask them to stop arguing before I ask another question to the representative, "So since you ask me to give Guy B a try, that means you yourself can't give me assurance that he will run this company better than the manager now. WHAT IF he screws up and brings this company down? Will you be able to do anything to reverse his failure since that I give him a try as what you all suggested me to do?

He answers, "We are never sure what will happen but we won't know unless we try."

I reply, "Do you know how important this post is? That most of you here, depend on this person. If he does something silly, you can all lose your job, and this company will close down? Knowing the kind of risks that we are facing, do you think it's wise to just hand it over to some guy whose reputation is not proven, just because you are unhappy with the current manager?

They all go silent. "Then you can choose whoever you think is right for the job as long as the manager is out. We cannot stand the sight of him anymore."

"The current manager might have shortcomings that some are not known to me, but as far as his job concerns me, he manages to run the company well enough. I won't say he's the best in the world, as agreed as some of you here. But when I ask you who should replace him, you suggest me a guy with no proven track, and you ask me to risk the future of this company to give that guy a try, and without even anything yet, some of you here already have complains about the guy. Now I'm left with 2 CORRUPTED GUYS, one with good track record, one with none. And you protesters here, are not even sure that you guys could be hasty, until I highlight that you all could lose your job too if you pick the wrong guy.

What you guys know is you are unhappy with the manager now, and you want the guy out. But as the owner of this company, my concern is more than that cos this company has helped all of you to generate income to feed your family and it's my own legacy which I could never compromise to risk it over "A TRIAL" if someone can perform the job better or not. I don't have the space for TRIAL. It's either you do, or you die. You don't see it that way because you don't see it in a larger picture. Cos it's not you who owns this company, so you think a trial is worth it just to see if the person can do it better. This is not a playground, this is the real world. Unless you present me with someone who has done such achievements, maybe I can do something.

If I have with me only 2 corrupted men, I will still pick the one whom has brought me result and has contributed a lot. If all you have is another corrupted man to replace him, you better go back to your respective department, do the work you are assigned to do, than to waste time and resource trying to find fault, and before you forget, this person you guys dislike is the reason why most of you are working here. I suggest that each of you learn how to be grateful first, then maybe you will think twice before you bring to me issue that you yourself don't have the solution to fix it.

"Before I leave, one more thing. To become a leader is not easy. You have to take a lot of decisions that others don't like, and you always have to consider a lot of things before you make certain decisions. And sometimes, your personal problems will get dragged in your work and make others find the reason to evaluate you, and plus, considering that you are just a human being, you do make wrong moves, you do make mistakes. But after all said and done, if this person's achievements are still way above his shortcomings, I will still keep him, especially when all you have for me to consider, is another man who is no BETTER than him. Last but not least, just in case you are looking for an Angel as a manager here, how is that possible? You all aren't angels too. And you want a manage who is an angel? Maybe in Heaven, not here."

I'm not sure if the scenario does hit some points.

I just want a peaceful country. I thought I already have it for so long. The Bersih Rally, for 2 times now, have seen the part of the country turned into riot. People got killed, fighting for something they could not even get directly from the rally. I am not even sure if you people are not manipulated. The most shocking part of all this hype is...Recall the scenario above. These people, who are so good at protesting, when I asked them back THE SIMPLEST QUESTION, Then who do you think should be the next PM from the opposition? They said, DON'T KNOW. Big possibility that the rest of them in the rally also have the same thing in their mind. GO FIGURE.

Note: The perfect kingdom/government only exists elsewhere up there, not on this Earth.

No comments: