Statcounter

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Among The Best Gifts For Me – My Mom


I have been reminding my friends about Mother’s Day (8th May 2011). The reason is because I remember, and I think everyone should remember too. We barely have quality times for our mom, so luckily they make a day like that so we have excuse to show more appreciation, just in case we are too shy to do that without proper reasons. Of course, it’s Our Mom, we are born with the reason to love her. She had us in her womb for 9 months, taking care of herself so we could be healthy when we first see this world. The pain of giving birth to us, YOU can never imagine. If you are a female, when you finally have your own child then you know it’s between life or death to bring another life into this world. In the other hand, if you are a male, Imagine that when you hear your wife screaming in pain while giving birth, you know she’s fighting for her life too. The miraculous thing about how God makes it so hard for humans to bear a child probably because He wants us to appreciate one another, especially the children – They can be of bad nature and traits, but they must have LOVE for their mom. Imagine that since day one, she has us above herself. She raised us up the best way possible and here we are.


It’s a lifetime lesson for someone like me to understand a lot of things. I was given a difficult nature to begin with. It must be tough to be a mom to me. I have not become a mom myself, so whatever that I think I have begun to understand is not even half of the whole thing until I become a mom one day. I always have something to object about my mom because I inherit much of my traits from my dad and so I become more sensitive and I always got annoyed by my mom’s way, especially when she always make it a joke when it comes to criticizing others, including her own children. My nature makes me see it as lack of sensitivity because from what I know, not all could take criticism with a light heart. Maybe I could name this as one of the reasons of me being perfectionist when my mom won’t easily praise us for the little achievements. I still remember when I was primary school, I got the third place in my semester examination and I remember my mom said, “So you are happy enough at no. 3?” I was so upset with her when she said that. I replied my mom, “You never get no.3 before so I am considered very good.” Then my mom said, “That was different. It doesn’t mean when I have only achieved no.7 that means you can be happy enough when you be at No. 3.” Of course I was so mad that time. I forgot that my mom was raised in hardship. Money was tough back then and my mom had to quit school very early because of financial and security reasons since she was the only girl in the family and she had to walk a jungle to go to school. She was right. I should never compare myself with my mom because I was raised in a much better environment. I should never grin to be at No.3.


The same thing goes with other things. When it comes to our appearances. My mom always complain about the hair, the shoes and others. She thinks it’s a big deal. Being a grownup now, I get tougher when it comes to criticism. My friends never criticize me that much and there were times when I thought my friends adore me more than my mom did to me because of the constant criticizing. It’s like, “Your hair is too short, it doesn’t suit your face. Your pants are too long, you are sweeping the floor with them. Your handbag is too big, don’t you feel heavy carrying stuff in that?” I mean, Gosh mom… just let me be! Yeah…that was so back then. If this is the reason of my perfectionism, then maybe I should thank my mom because my perfectionism gives me the edge. My customers like me because they know I have a high standard for my work and regardless what price they pay, they know they gonna be satisfied.


My mom has learned a great deal too dealing with children like us, especially me. I am always the toughest one to deal since she knows she could not use the bad language to speak to me or I might fire back. Even at times, my mom could not answer back, and I know she was just a weak human being like me. She learnt something new from every bitter encounter with her children. I know sometimes she got really stressed out too when things didn’t go her way and when her children were showing attitudes that she doesn’t like. Guess what, having children like us makes her a tougher woman. I must repeat this again that My Mom is the strongest woman I know. I still remember when she did not cry a tear in front of us upon losing her dad (our grandpa) on his funeral. I know that she thought we are not used to seeing my mom being overemotional and so she had to keep her cool – and the way I see it, she did that especially for me because I am always the weakest in the siblings. I could not show her weaknesses or else we could have nothing else to rely on and just get consumed with our sadness. Even on my grandma’s funeral a few years after, I cried harder that her.

Mom, thanks for walking me to school when I was a kid. I still remember that I was so small and I held my mom’s arm as we walked as her other hand was holding the umbrella. It was a cute sight. My mom has gone thru a lot being a young mom to raise us all, and marrying my dad, who was once an alcoholic, really taught her maturity before time. Now that we are all working, I am so delighted to see that my mom could have more freedom for herself that she could buy anything she wants and go anywhere she wants. I am so glad that aging only gives her more power over her life. My dad, who is also with a difficult nature, knows this too that he got himself the best wife God could ever reward him with. My mom always got compliments wherever she goes. She looks so much younger than her age, always presentable and even her friends/relatives ask me what’s her secret for “never age” for a long time. I told them this. My mom is really particular about her foods and she listens to what she hears are good for health and longevity. Unlike most of us, we couldn’t care less. We only care to enjoy and have fun. Now it’s pays off. She really looks good for her age. Even much better than years back. Being a Catholic in latter age, helps my mom to rational things and she is so much better in handling things now. Oh Mom, I am so proud of you! Muahsss.. *giggles.


Mom, I know I have done many things I am not proud of. But who knows, one day you will say a little story about me to your friends too, and end it with, I am proud to have a daughter like her. I mean, Okay, maybe not yet but I think I’m going there….Hahahaha. Thanks for being my mom. You are a Wonder Woman, if not more :)

I can't thank you enough :) God Bless You, Mom and Happy Mother’s Day 2011! Muahss

No comments: