Statcounter

Sunday, February 1, 2015

How An Apology Saved My Day


It was just a normal day until I got a call from my customer, using a high tone of voice, saying her dissatisfaction about the timing I set for her to pick up her order. I was quite shocked because I totally forgot that I actually agreed to the time that she has set a few days earlier. Oh gosh. It felt like getting caught redhanded doing something embarrassing. That's the feeling. So I kept my cool anyway, asking her, "So what time you can come?" She said, "4 PM". I straight away answered, "Okay, no problem." I don't think it helps if I try to compromise so I rather not. If she'd say 5 or 6, I'd comply. I tried to undo the damage I've done.

When she came, I saw her face. I knew she was mad. The first thing I said was, "I'm really really sorry for all the troubles." It was when she used a lower tone to speak to me. I tried to cover myself too by saying "If only I knew the timing was so crucial for you, I would make it happen. If only someone reminded me earlier." She agreed right away. I deserved some scolding too because I forgot something I have agreed. This is not so normal, but it was a really busy week for me. I had to forgive myself.

I don't suggest that you fake your apology to get away from someone's tantrum, No, you have to mean it. Your ego isn't important. Nothing else is more important in that very moment, except for your apology. I humbled myself, and something told me that she wasn't a bad person herself. All she needed to hear is that word Sorry. So in the end, she smiled - followed by my breath of relief. Thank you God!

Note: As long as you are dealing with another human being, chances are the person knows what it's like to be in your place and will consider your circumstances. They will accept your sorry.

No comments: